Homemade Ragu Sauce is one of the newer recipes that has made its way into my life. I’ve tweaked it over time and have perfected it. Slow Cooked Ragu Sauce is great to cook on a cold day, or if you’re a pastaholic like me, it’s delicious just about any time.
Ingredients include chuck or round roast, canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, red wine, fresh basil, and thyme. As with any slow cooked meal, the savory smell will fill your home. You’ll be counting down the hours until dinner!
Homemade Ragu Sauce Recipe
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs chuck or round roast, cut into 1-2″ chunks
- 1 – 28 oz can whole canned tomatoes, with liquid
- 7.5 oz (half a 15 oz can) tomato sauce
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6-8 cloves garlic, sliced (I based this on the size of the roast, but it’s always best to err on the side of extra garlic!)
- A couple splashes of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- A few shakes of ground thyme
- Hot pepper flakes (to taste)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Several leaves of fresh basil, chopped
- Heat half of the oil in a skillet. Coat the meat chunks in salt and pepper. Brown the meat, turning occasionally. Place browned meat into the slow cooker.
- Heat the remaining oil and sauté the onion for about 3-5 min, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute until garlic is fragrant. Add the cooked onion and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Add whole canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, red wine, water, thyme, black pepper, hot pepper flakes, and basil to the slow cooker.
- Mix contents well. Set slow cooker to low heat and let cook for 8 hours. Once done, the meat and tomatoes will easily shred.
- Serve with parmesan over a wide noodle pasta such as pappardelle. Wide egg noodles work in a pinch too.
Homemade Ragu Sauce Notes
- This recipe can be cooked over the stove instead of a slow cooker. If using a stove top, you’ll need to simmer the sauce for 3-4 hours to ensure the beef easily shreds.
- Add an additional 1/4 cup of water if you’d like your sauce to be thinner.
- Save the leftovers for later. This Ragu Sauce freezes well too!
All photos in this post were taken by writingbylj. To see more food ideas, follow me on Instagram.